National Bushfire Boundary Compilation
EMSINA's 5 Capability Questions
Q1: What is the Project Scope / What is trying to be solved?
The scope of the Department of Home Affairs’ National Bushfire Boundaries Project is to continue on the EMSINA work undertaken during the 2019/20 bushfire season. This Project is aimed at collecting and aggregating jurisdictional bushfire data into a series of Nationally consistent bushfire boundary spatial products.
Q2: What will be available to the EM community / decision makers at the end of your project?
The end products available to EM decision makers consist of a series of three bushfire boundary spatial products. Those products are: a Bushfire Boundary ‘Operational’ Webservice (updated every 15 minutes), a Bushfire Boundary ‘Time Series’ Webservice (updated every 3 hours), and a Bushfire Boundary ‘2020/21 FY’ Webservice (updated last day of each month).
Q4: What are the main hurdles faced in completing your Project?
• Old data licencing that outlines non-sharing of the information.
• Data and attribute standards, or lack thereof…
• Insufficient documentation (metadata) for some of the bushfire boundary webservices
• Lack of funding toward and/or recognition that the jurisdictions capabilities hold the key to creating this National picture
• Federal funding, uncertain for the 2021/22 FY.
Q5: What input data / work do you need from jurisdictions?
• Overall the Jurisdictions have done an incredible job over the last 15 months in enabling and supplying their bushfire data into this National initiative. The only thing the jurisdictions could do better is to work on their product documentation (metadata).
• The Project is approaching a development stall point where unless an agency/body owns and actively works on solving the underlying data standards a truly Nationally consistent dataset will remain unachievable.
• We need targeted State/Federal funding to upgrade and/or enhance jurisdictional capabilities to capture, process and disseminate this data.
• We need to assist the Northern Territory with their bushfire boundary capabilities
Other information provided by the presenter.
The 3 bushfire boundary products (operational, timeseries and 20/21 FY) are available through EM-LINK: Lack of acknowledgement that there is a Northern Fire Season from May to September.
Question and Answers
The following are overflow questions that the presenter was unable to answer during the meeting.